Why the Tree of Life?

11.04.2005

Winnie the Pooh

Many homeschoolers I've talked to have mentioned that they began reading chapter books aloud to their children around the time they turned three years old. As K's third birthday has been approaching, I have been trying to figure out what would be a good first chapter book. I had thought about Charlotte's Web, but I knew that the opening chapter where Wilbur is saved from being killed with an ax would bother him. Every other book that I've been able to think of was also just a little too old for him.

Today, out of the blue, I thought about Winnie the Pooh. I had tried it several months ago with him, and he had shown no interest. So, I shelved it. During lunch, when I thought about it, I mentioned it to K, and he said he didn't want to read it. I told him D wanted me to read it to him, and then I headed to the rocking chair in D's room and sat down with Winnie the Pooh. Of course, K followed. I told him I was going to read to D, but he didn't have to listen if he didn't want to. He said, "Oh, I do!" Oh, ok. :)

He loved it! It's amazing the difference a matter of a few months makes. And it is also amazing how well A.A. Milne captures the three year old boy (someone I wasn't familiar with a few months ago either). Christopher Robin and K have a lot in common. :) D actually sat in my lap through nearly the whole chapter, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment