Why the Tree of Life?

2.27.2006

Chore Strategy #42

OK, so I am always trying to find the perfect housework routine. E gives me a pretty hard time about it, and just nods and smiles when I announce to him that I have finally figured out how to get 'everything' done. On paper, I have *beautiful* schedules, schedules to be proud of, schedules that are so intricate that they are truly works of art and engineering! Unfortunately, my schedules never really work. Bits and pieces of them work sometimes, but they usually get ignored. But they are oh-so effecient, and I get to scratch things off.

Well, now that D has begun pulling up and walking along the furniture, he has also discovered how much fun it is to pull *everything* off the shelves. K laughs and shakes his head and sighs, "Aw, Dug-a-ni-ni, what a mess!" He thinks its hilarious. Picking up all the things only attracts Dzilla's attention, and we're back to where we started. The carpet is wall-to-wall junk at this point, and it hasn't been vacuumed in *weeks* because K and I can't find the floor.

So, this morning, K and I started a NEW routine. Week one will be Vacuuming week. We will have a 10-minute pickup (with timer!-- don't want to pick up more than we have to) in the morning, and then we will vacuum the exposed floor. Week two will be dusting week, and we'll pick up the high surfaces during that week ('fraid we can't blame Dzilla for those piles of junk). All we need now is a new battery for K's electric sweeper, and we're good to go. It's a lot of fun to vacuum together, actually. We like to bump into each other.

You may be wondering where bathrooms and mopping fit into all this. Not sure yet. But let's not get ahead of ourselves; vacuum and dusting will be major progress in and of themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer Harris3/2/06, 3:56 PM

    I have the exact same problem. For a while I used Flylady, which is similar to a recovery program for people who have lost control of their clutter. She emails chores, schedules 'zones' and has other strategies.

    http://www.flylady.com/

    I did it for a while, and found it helpful, if a little over-motivational. And I'm going to start again, just as soon as I care to vacuum.

    ReplyDelete