Why the Tree of Life?

7.02.2007

New Pace

...as in slower. After having lots of time to really focus on our family during the conference, I came back home to realize that we were really stretched too thin. The boys and I were doing something every day of the week. K is only 4 and a half! I'm not even sure how our week evolved to be that busy. I've always nodded in agreement when people talk about how children need lots of time at home and space/time to play. But I think part of why we were doing something every day was that I wanted that adult interaction; another part was because I wanted to form some social ties early for the boys in the local homeschooling community. I wanted to make sure they had friends and weren't lonely because they were homeschooled. I wanted homeschooling to be the norm in their world. But after the conference where I saw the difference between 4, 5, 6, and 7 year olds, and preceded by a long conversation with my mother the week before, I no longer feel like the clock is ticking. In all honesty, the friends I chose for them now may or may not be the friends they choose for themselves at age 7, when they really begin to want to socialize. And as my mother said, "When I was four, I only went to the grocery store." And you know, when I was four, I only went to the grocery store, too, really. So, why am I pushing, especially when it has always been a push, and the only one having a good time is me? The boys have always done much better one on one with another family, so that is what we are going to do: just invite friends over to play on a regular basis.

So! We are no longer doing Monday Friends, we are no longer going to the library story time (although we'll visit the library in the afternoon once a month), Enki co-op is on hold, and we will not be doing Eurythmy on Fridays with the Waldorf Homeschooling group. We *will be going to the grocery store on Wednesdays. But if a full-blown online grocery delivery service ever stays in business long enough for me to find them, you can bet we aren't going to the grocery store either.

Our mornings are now completely free. We haven't gone anywhere in the last week, and it has been great. And we have the afternoons for adventures, maybe an errand, maybe visiting friends or family. We even had friends over today that we hadn't seen in months.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, it was great for me to read this post. I've been having many of the same realisations. I keep thinking, who were my friends when I was 5 yr s old? I have no idea! I was in school and incredibly shy. The friendships I made that were truly lifelong were from about 7 yrs and up. We're cutting way back too and it's been wonderful to see how much better we all do with that.

    ReplyDelete