Why the Tree of Life?

5.09.2008

Winnie the Pooh

Not everyone begins reading Winnie the Pooh with The House at Pooh Corner, Chapter 2, In Which 'Tigger Comes to the Forest and Has Breakfast', but we do. I think I have been trying to introduce the boys to the Hundred Acre Woods for over a year. I've always liked Winnie the Pooh, but the bear was a no go with Kirven for a very long time. Kirven has preferred picture books with minimum peril (actually zero peril or emotion), which is fine, but as a reader, I have been dying to, well, read aloud to them (and read alouds have, ahem, plots). We have had several aborted starts with Winnie the Pooh, to the point that I have ruined it for him, and Kirven always balks at the suggestion of giving it a try again.

But somehow, the boys both have an idea of who Tigger is, and Dunagan was asking me about Tigger, so I suggested that I read a little bit about Tigger to him. Kirven was definitely against the idea; he didn't want to hear about Tigger. So, Dunagan and I said, fine, you can't hear about Tigger, only Dunagan and mommy can hear about Tigger. Kirven's jaw dropped. Really? 'You really won't let me hear about Tigger?' Nope, I said.

Well, there was no way he was going to miss out on something Dunagan was going to hear, even though he knew he didn't want to hear it himself.

And he loved it, of course. He's finally the right age (I'll get a hang of that part one of these days), and he laughed at all the funny parts. Dunagan seemed to really enjoy it as well. We read chapter 2 the next day at naptime as well, and Kirven can't wait for me to read chapter 2 to them again.

Does he want to read any other chapters about Tigger? Oh, no, no, no. Chapter 2 is quite enough, thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment