Why the Tree of Life?

9.15.2008

Finger Crocheting



Last week's craft was finger crocheting, and man, did Kirven take to it like a duck to water. I demonstrated several loops, saying the verse with each one, and then Kirven said, "Mom, when are you going to let me do it?" So, I handed it off to him, watched for a moment, and then walked away. When I came back about 10 minutes later, he was over halfway through the whole thing (skein?) of yarn. He finished it off completely a few minutes later. He was so confident in his skills that later that evening when he was showing his work off to his grandmother, he undid a several chains, and then he crocheted it back without even looking and all while keeping up his end of the conversation at the same time. What a difference it makes to wait to introduce something until they are developmentally ready!

4 comments:

  1. Y'all do the coolest projects -- dried apples, now this ...

    Would you mind posting a link to where you found directions for finger knitting, if indeed there is such a place online? I'm terrible at teaching anything mechanical, but I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,

    I found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukywxy19Gk8
    She keeps calling it finger knitting, but it is finger crocheting (I had a heck of a time finding even this one!). Finger knitting requires more fingers, and we'll actually be doing that soon, too! We had the instructions in our Enki craft book, along with a story to tell a few days before you attempt the craft, so that they have a verse to say that helps them with the finger movements. Dunagan even says the verse while Kirven works! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seph loves to do this, and could show Kirven how to put beads on his lines. Maybe we could do that as an activity together later this week?

    They make simple 'knitting mushrooms' that I think replicate the multiple finger knitting you mention. I haven't seen it done on fingers, but it makes a kind of tube? We haven't tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im clostrophobic so when i go in to buildings ineed my crochetting they are now taking my hook away from me... it is freeking me and i saw this viedo for finger crochet i cant find how to copy the insts and take it so i can keep my mind occupied on not freeking so i can crochet it wont show me i cant get back to the viedo... where is it im momyofcats@aol.com please hlep me and send me insts in words so i can take the pattern me

    ReplyDelete