Why the Tree of Life?

10.21.2008

Maker Faire

Someone made R2D2 and friend

We went to Maker Faire this last weekend. A friend introduced me a while ago to Make Magazine, and I knew it would be Evan's Christmas present that year. Their Maker Faire is basically the magazine on display. There were a lot of cool things to see. Evan could probably blog better about this event. Needless to say, if you know Evan and/or the boys, you know that Maker Faire has been much anticipated since the day after last year's Maker Faire. Everything there was made by someone for fun.


Robot with sirens blazing that shot ping pong balls at the crowd. Made by someone for fun.


Kirven waiting to be shot at with ping pong balls.



Ice cream fozen instantly with liquid nitrogen. The boys declared it delicious!



The biggest Van de Graaph generator (Correction: Evan said it was a Tesla Coil) I've ever seen, and it was set to music.


Kirven made and flew a kite!


Killer Robot


Robots killing each other.

The next year will be spent discussing everything we saw at Maker Faire, especially if it involved fire. If you visit us, you will probably hear about Maker Faire. Really, this event is just about the coolest event in Austin all year. The boys are already discussing what they can make to show off at the Faire next year.

3 comments:

  1. Pining in jealousy ... next year we are going to save up for this ahead of time -- or buy the discount tickets ahead of time! :-) Incredible stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there again,

    Are you aware of this blog? http://blueyonder.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/10/try-this-at-home.html
    Apparently, they were doing the same thing y'all were this weekend! They are homeschoolers as well and do alot of cool things. I'll say again I really enjoy reading all your family adventures. I recently made the choice not to return to work and it always makes me smile to read about all the things I will be able to do with my little one.

    Happy Cool Weather! (at least it is in Dallas area, hope you all are getting some too)
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle,

    Thanks for posting the link. I recognize Stephani's name from Austin Area Homeschoolers (I think). I didn't realize she had a blog. She's a great writer!

    And congrats on choosing to stay home! You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete