Why the Tree of Life?

10.01.2008

Playdough



We were supposed to make playdough last Friday, but it just didn't happen. We made it Monday instead. Kirven was sick all weekend with a fever and sore throat. I was afraid he had strep throat, but his fever broke in the wee hours of Monday morning. We missed co-op, but making playdough turned out to be a good recuperative activity.

We used a good recipe. I've seen this same receipe in various other sources, so I don't know who to credit. In the past, I've made one batch, one color, cooking the coloring in. This time, I didn't want to make several batches, so I made it without the coloring first, and then we fourth'd the dough and added a quarter teaspoon of coloring to each (I made a little well in the dough and gingerly smooshed). I don't know if we'll go this route again. It seemed at first that it wouldn't make a uniform color, but it did become uniform after they played with it for a while. But we all ended up with purple hands doing it that way. Here's the recipe:

Cooked Play Dough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon food coloring

Combine flour, salt and cream of tartar in a saucepan. Mix liquids and gradually stir them into dry ingredients. When mixture is smooth, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until a ball forms. Remove from heat and knead until smooth.

2 comments:

  1. This is indeed the classic playdough recipe, the one used by and given to me by my mom. Hard to justify paying money for the chemical laden, storebought stuff! What fun. (I used to eat it as a kid, when I thought no one was looking.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! The boys kept trying to feed it to Ayla. "She'll like it, mommy... see, she wants it!"

    ReplyDelete