Why the Tree of Life?

1.07.2009

Ecological Calendar

I found the coolest calendar. It is a not like any other calendar you've ever seen. It's a seasonal calendar rather than a monthly calendar, and it's called the Ecological Calendar, and it has all sorts of cool things on it like tidal charts and astronomical happenings. It consists of four long panels, one for each season, and it illustrates the flowing change of the seasons quite nicely from winter solstice to spring equinox to summer solstice to autumn equinox. Kirven has been enjoying highlighting each day as we come to it and discussing what is going on in the natural world.

And on a totally unrelated note, on Feb. 10th the U.S. Government is going to put into effect the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. This act will require all makers of children's products to have their products tested by third party testing. This also includes second hand clothing and toys. This means no more children's consignment shopping, no more thrift store shopping. No more handmade toys from stay at home moms, no more hand made diapers!

Here are some links to some things you can do.

http://www.change.org/ideas/view/save_handmade_toys_from_the_cpsia

http://www.coolmompicks.com/savehandmade/

http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. I love yours! I am so excited to learn about this calendar & already ordered one. We are considering homeschooling beyond this, our PreK3 year, and I've never heard of Enki, so I'm going to look into it. Love the lanterns you made for "longest night". We are Friends who don't have a local meeting where we live right now, so we sometimes visit the Lutherans. But I really miss Meeting. Glad to find you - I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you stopped by! We love Enki, and it is really supportive of our faith as Friends. You're welcome to email me sometime if you ever have any questions about Enki: jennifer DOT marchman AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great calendar. thanks for sharing it. i had an amazon gift card to spend, and this helped me :)

    ReplyDelete