Why the Tree of Life?

8.19.2010

Home Again

We've been traveling a lot this summer, and we just got back from the Enki Conference weekend before last. We're still recovering a bit.

The boys started gymnastics today at Capital Gymnastics. It is a three hour drop-off class with gymnastics instruction, free play and lunch, and cooperative games. Both boys had a great time, but Dunagan said it was too long. It will be interesting to see which feeling wins out for him. I told him that he can go to gymnastics or he can come home with Ayla and I to have a nap.

I'm currently reworking our entire daily schedule. Something had to give. I had too much crammed in there, so I have been spending a lot of that rethinking as prioritizing. What's most important? What's out of reach? What can wait?

Along with the re-prioritizing, I have been looking over our past year with the Enki Approach, and I am having to re-evaluate where I want to stick with Enki and where I want to choose something easier for teacher health. I still really like the way new concept is brought to the student, but I am having trouble making sure that Kirven does all the other activities that go along with that to solidify those concepts. Increasingly, I am turning to some more traditional sources. For instance, my plan now is that we will do the story work with the language arts and math stories for new concepts, but that for practice work, he will do Miquon worksheets, and we'll do reading practice out of the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading.

I'm just having trouble pulling this alternative method off and staying sane at the same time (and not feeling like I'm short-changing any of my children). I still have a lot to think through.

I still like the developmental approach (matching subject to their development).
I still like all the movement work (but there is an area I continually get resistance).
I still like.... oh, I could go on, but I'm boring myself here, so I bet I'm boring you... Needless to say, this stuff is running continuous circuits through my head.

I think I have picked the hardest philosophy to implement in the home.

5 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you and have made adjustment I feel necessary to better serve my kids. We have really changed the way movement is brought out but kept the concept. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I feel we are on the same page. I am in a time of re-prioritizing too and we begin back to hsing in just 2 weeks. I've found I have had to be a bit flexible in my philosophies of teaching through the years according to each child's needs, and now due to my own needs. Each adjustment period I felt a bit of sadness over the changes I had not planned on, but to my surprise, we have moved on and the changes have been good. That's one great part about hsing...flexibility. And change does not mean forever or that you cannot combine approaches or return again. I believe you will do just great!

    Well wishes to your family.
    Jan Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all end up having to make adjustments for teacher health, LOL. Almost nothing in our hsing "looks" like Enki any longer, although I tried very hard last year using Enki philosophy and Live Ed resource materials. But this year will look like an odd mix of some really relaxed non-radical unschooling and some more traditional lesson work, along with the underpinings of Enki philosophy and our family web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough -- I don't do Enki so don't have any tips for you, but I can definitely relate to the feeling of needing to tweak things that aren't working, but not being sure HOW to do that, and how to get into a good groove that works for everyone.

    My friend Nicole's kids have done the Cap Gymnastics program for a while now. I've considered it for my youngers as well ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

    @ Hannah: Hope to see you at gymnastics! That would be great. I wish our paths crossed more than they do. I always enjoy chatting with you!

    ReplyDelete