Why the Tree of Life?

10.14.2010

Fox and Rooster

Kirven officially started 2nd grade and Dunagan started kindergarten this week. We are beginning with a Scottish cultural block studying John Muir. We'll do a couple of weeks of trickster tales from the culture and then move into John Muir's biography.

We drew The Fox and the Rooster today, and Kirven's drawing and handwriting (above) are really improving. He's really resistant to the whole recall/drawing process, but I'm going to give it a little longer before I rethink this area. Once he finally agreed to draw, he seemed to enjoy it and was adding details that I wasn't leading him on, like adding hay to the barn.

As part of the Scottish cultural block, the boys have been taking Scottish Country Dancing lessons once a week (Dunagan seems to enjoy it the most), and we have plans to go to the Austin Celtic Festival in November.

As I've mentioned in recent posts, I have been rethinking our approach, and I have decided that I just can't pull off the Enki way of teaching reading. I think it would be great in a classroom setting, but I am finding it too much to keep track of at home. I still like the sage/trickster stories and process, and we will still probably read the language arts spelling stories and do the three fold process with those, but I have turned to using the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading on a daily basis. I've thought long and hard about this, and there are just too many details that I am not attending to with the Enki method (be they reasons of time, energy or Ayla), so I am therefore short-changing Kirven. The truth of the matter is, when I sit down with Kirven and that scripted lesson book, he makes progress in his reading, and it is easy for me in the sense that I don't have to prepare anything. Yes, it's a little dry, but it feels better; and I can relax a little because it is so thorough and progresses logically. I think I need that logical progression for my own sanity. Best for me to just start admitting that to myself and move on.

And a couple of paintings from craft day this week. Kirven's above and Dunagan's below.

I had pictures of the awesome, five-person cardboard box house the boys built at Tinkering class, but my camera didn't save them. Blast it. The boys love Tinkering Class. It is the highlight of their entire week, I think.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

1 comment:

  1. Love Dunagan's painting. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete