Why the Tree of Life?

7.12.2011

Ayla's Cookies



Tuesdays are Ayla's project days, and today she wanted to make cookies. We made 1-2-3 cookies, and we made a really small batch. 1-2-3 is the ratio of the essence of cookieness. 1 part sugar, 2 parts fat, 3 parts flour. Play around with the ratio, or the types of flours, fats or sugars, add flavorings, and you have infinite possibilities in cookiedom. Take flour away and you have icing, take sugar away and you have roux.

So, anyway, as I said, we did a very small batch: 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup of flour, and it only made 10 cookies. Very nice. I can do that any day of the week. I have a gigantic 6 qt. metal mixing bowl with a rubber bottom that I have realized works great with the toddler. I mean, this bowl is really big. She can mash flour and butter and sugar around with her bare hands, and it all stays in the bowl. Hallelujah.

The cookies turned out ok. Definitely needed salt and chocolate. But I like knowing the basic cookie now. And Ayla had fun creaming the ingredients with her hands and licking as much as she could before I reminded her that they needed to go into the oven next.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying learning how to cook. Another great book for helping to learn the basic techniques so you can cook without a book is Alice Waters's The Art of Simple Food.

    The cookie ratio seems interesting; I'll have to try it. In just about every cookie recipe I have in my head the ratio is around 1 part fat, 2 parts sugar, 3 parts flour. Creaming sugar into far it just seems that there is always more sugar than fat. My "famous" chocolate chip cookies have 1 C. butter, 2 C. sugar (1 C. white sugar and 1 C. brown sugar), and 3 C. flour. My Snickerdoodle Snaps have 1/2 C. Spectrum shortening, 1 C. Rapadura, and 1.5 C. gluten free flour blend.

    Have fun in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete